Saturday, November 1, 2008

GEMS OF THE PAST: PREFAB SPROUT





A big favourite of mine, and a group that I always thought was very underrated, as is the case quite often with great artists who aren't truly appreciated until years later.

The first album of theirs I bought was FROM LANGLEY PARK TO MEMPHIS on vinyl, and shortly I managed to get hold of LIONS IN MY OWN GARDEN (EXIT SOMEONE) 12", I would probably say FROM LANGLEY PARK TO MEMPHIS is my favourite album by the Sprout, although I would have to say STEVE MCQUEEN would be a very close second.

I think the music world would be a much better place if it had more songwriters of the calibre of Paddy McAloon.

Life unfortunately has not been kind to him and he suffers from Meniere's disease and has led to his sight and hearing being impaired amonsgt other problems, I think it is especially cruel for such a talented lyricist and musician to suffer from this disease.

Please find below videos of two of my favourite Sprout tracks, and I would like to wish Mr McAloon all the best on any future endeavours, his songs have given me and continue to give me great listening pleasure.





Oh and Paddy and his brother Martin have been back in the studio to record the long awaited follow-up to their 2001 album "The Gunman and Other Stories", called "Let's Change The World With Music - The Blueprint, the band are aiming at a February 2009 release. :)







No comments: